Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Is That Alright? If I Give My Gun Away When it's Loaded?

Okay ladies & gents, there has been much debate as to the meaning behind Damien Rice's song "9 Crimes" featuring Lisa Hannigan. I reviewed the lyrics and listened to the song a few times and have come up with my opinion on the matter.

For starters, I think we can all agree that there is some form of cheating going on... whether physical or just emotional. I think that the two vocals represent the cheating couple, although I think that the male is the one actually in a relationship and the female is the other woman (I'm not sold on her also cheating on a significant other).

When they talk about giving their gun away, I think that's a reference for giving away their heart when they shouldn't... hence it being a loaded gun. I think the line "if you don't shoot it, how am I supposed to hold it?" means that the cheater can't move on (and therefore progress in his affair) until he gets some kind of acknowledgment and punishment from his significant other. I see it almost as though he knows it's wrong he's cheating but he wants to continue on with the other woman, but there is still some morals left in him and he can't open up fully in his other relationship until his current significant other lets him go.

I think that at heart, he is a really good person and truly is going through a lot of pain at the fact that he's found someone else that he is emotionally drawn to, despite being in a relationship.

And thus concludes my analysis of Damien Rice's song. Press play below to check out the song for yourself.

No comments: